Every time, we talk about skincare/haircare, one of the first questions, we often ask is, "What's your skin type/hair type?" The right questions are always returned with a fuller and deeper understanding of your individuality.
Subtle distinctions like how often you have break-outs, your age, how often you spend time in an AC environment, especially in flights, what weather & air conditions you live in, your response rate to products, hair fall patterns, the texture of your hair, your daily routines, the appearance of pigmentation, or blemishes, or uneven skin tone, or simply dullness that needs a layer of natural makeup to look fresh, the appearance of large pores, the tendency of blackheads and whiteheads; and a combination of all these responses that really determine what your unique skin/hair requires for nourishment.
According to Ayurveda, much like your personality, your skin and hair also have its own unique Nature (Prakriti) and 5 Elements (Doshas) – Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Ether. The combinations of these 5 elements form the Sharira Prakriti (the physical constitution of a person). Your skin & hair tells your story, your personal journey.
According to the dominance of three Doshas, the physical constitution of a person is precisely classified into 7 types.
Vata (Air+ Ether)
• Skin Type:Dry & Sun damaged skin (Tanned, discoloured and pigmented skin)
• Hair Type: Dry & Frizzy Hair (lustreless, split ends & rough hair)
Pitta (Fire+ Water)
• Skin Type:Wrinkled & Aging Skin (freckles, moles and crinkled skin)
• Hair Type: Greying & Aging Hair (soft, sparse, straight and balding hair)
• Skin Type: Dull & Greasy skin (clogged pores, itchy & red bumps)
• Hair Type: Oily & Infected Scalp (thick, excess sebum, lifeless & itchy with scalp infections)
Vata-Kapha (air, ether, earth & water)
• Skin Type: Combination Skin (usually dry on the cheeks and oily on the T-zone)
• Hair Type: Dry & Damaged Hair (lustreless & prone to dandruff)
Kapha-Pitta (earth, water & fire)
• Skin Type: Acne & Unclear Skin (Prone to pimples, blackheads & whiteheads)
• Hair Type: Oily & Greying Hair (excess sebum & thin hair)
Pitta-Vata (fire, water, air & ether)
• Skin Type: Dry & Sensitive skin (Flaky skin, frequently desiring for moisture)
• Hair Type: Frizzy & Balding Hair (split ends, rough & falling hair)
• Skin Type: Normal Skin (fit & healthy)
• Hair Type: Thick & Strong (fit & healthy)